1. It's actually not just a day. Wednesday marks the start of the regular period for high school students signing a national letter of intent. The period last through April 6.
2. It's not just for football. The signing period that began Wednesday includes field hockey, soccer, track and field, cross country and men's water polo.
3. It's only a one-year deal. The agreement means that a school only has to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year and that athletes agrees to attend the institution for one academic year (or face losing one season if he or she transfers).
4. It's not a done deal. Athletes must still be academically eligible to play for their chosen college.
5. Not all of the players making announcements will sign today. Many of the elite athletes today are only making their commitment and will sign their National Letter of Intent within a few days.