Story and Video by Andrew Feather, McNamara Campus Correspondent
HYATTSVILLE, Md. (WUSA) -- In front of a packed house of media, fans and college coaches, Eleanor Roosevelt outlasted Bishop McNamara, 71-58, in a game that was much closer than the final score indicated.
The match-up, which kicked off the sixth annual National High School Hoops Festival at DeMatha, entertained throughout and was a table setter for the thrilling competition that would follow suit. For Roosevelt, senior forward Lorenzo Foote recorded a double double with a dozen points and rebounds apiece, and senior guard Trevor Evans scored 14 for the Raiders.
On the Mustangs' side of the ball, Siena commit Stephan Jiggetts' shooting woes continued. Though he led McNamara with 17 points, he shot under 37 percent on the day and was 2-11 from behind the arc.
Where Roosevelt really came out on top was the charity stripe. The Raiders played disciplined all game, only allowing 10 free throws against. The Mustangs seemed out of control at times and sent Roosevelt on 31 trips to the line, 23 of which were converted.
Final results of the tournament are:
- Eleanor Roosevelt 71, Bishop McNamara 58
- Potomac 84, St. John's 69
- Huntington Prep 53, Riverdale Baptist 44
- West Charlotte 62, DeMatha 59
- Paul VI 56, Oak Hill 54
- Our Savior New America 66, National Christian 64
- Paul VI 63, H.D. Woodson 52 (Girls)
- Paul VI 57, St. Maria Goretti 43
- Huntington Prep 75, Princeton Day 69