MAYFIELD SCHOOLS -- The Mayfield School District is seeking court help to remain in Ohio's football playoffs that begin tonight, according to a written release from the district.
The district has filed a motion in Cuyahoga Common Pleas Court asking that a temporary restraining order against the OHSAA in relation to a forfeit be rescinded. That temporary restraining order effectively shuffled the playoff teams for the state playoffs and knocked Mayfield out.
"Here's the bottom line. Our kids earned their way onto the playoff field because they were selected by the Ohio High School Athletic Association based on their season record," said Superintendent Keith Kelly. "The Wildcats, our athletes, our coaches, our parents have become collateral damage in a court ruling which, quite frankly, makes no sense. Mayfield earned its way onto the playoff field. We were invited to play by the OHSAA."
The Wildcats were one of eight teams announced by the Ohio State High School Athletic Association to play in the Division 1 regional quarterfinals.
On October 30, Cleveland Heights filed a lawsuit to block the OHSAA's playoff roster. The district claimed that due to a voluntary forfeit by Cleveland JFK earlier in the season, that Cleveland Heights deserved a playoff spot.
The forfeit was not recognized by the OHSAA and not considered when naming playoff teams.
But on Thursday, Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Richard McMonagle issued a temporary restraining order against OHSAA related to the forfeit. The decision knocked the Mayfield Wildcats out of the playoffs and let Cleveland Heights in.
"We stand by our players and coaches and will fight for them for a fair and just outcome," said Superintendent Kelly. "In the end it may be the Ohio Supreme Court which has the final word."
Related story: http://on.wkyc.com/Sh8EnE